By David Pearce
I caught with ZP Theart Former Dragonforce Vocalist to ask him about his influences, his new band I AM I and the new album “Event Horizon”, which will be relased on 26th May 2012, and here’s what he had to say.
1. Hello ZP, I’m David, Welcome To MSFinland!
Hello David, a pleasure to talk to you.
2. You have been away from the scene for two years, what have you been doing with yourself?
I took 1 year out of music completely, to figure out exactly what I wanted to do and what direction it was I wanted to head into musically. At the same time I was plotting to take over the world Pinky hahaha!
3. Which bands would you say inspired or influenced you?
I’m a long time Bon Jovi fan, from his first album onwards up to Cross Roads. But everything after that…. Meh. Other than that I’m into kick ass Rock bands from the 80’s like Skid Row, Motley Crue, Steel Heart and all those sort of bands that had catchy tunes, who to me embodied the epitome of Rock and Roll.
4. What is your track of the moment, the song you have to keep on playing?
I AM I – This Is My Life!
5. Do you still get nervous before shows?
I don’t call it nerves, I call it hyper-drive.
6. You have a new band & album can you tell me about them both?
Our band is called I AM I for those who do not know…yet. It has myself on vocals, Jake Z on guitars, he’s a brilliant song writer and fantastic guitarist. Paul Clark Jr on drums, pounding the skins with the exuberance of youth, and Neil Salmon on bass, stoking the rhythmic fire. As far as “Event Horizon” goes, vocally it is my best work to date and musically I perceive it to be infectious and full of intent.
7. How involved are you in the process of the producing the album?
The album was produced by myself and Jake Z, so I guess it’s 100% both ways. That’s one of the reasons I’m proud as fuck of this album.
8. What can fans expect from this album?
Real music and honest Rock and Roll. A message for those who want to hear, and melodies that will stick in your brain for a long time to come.
9. Do you have a favourite track on the album? And if so, which one and why?
My mind changes everyday, but for now I will say “Silent Genocide”. We may have to talk again in a couple of weeks!
10. What is the difference between Dragonforce & I AM I musically?
Exactly that, it’s different…completely different. Or shall we start with the name…?
11. You have been asked to play Bloodstock how did that come about?
The organisers heard the first track we released, they know that I’m a professional and my command of the stage and they can see what’s happening around I AM I – we mean fuckin’ business! That was enough for them to ask us to play the main stage.
12. Are you thinking about doing a full tour anytime soon?
Plans are in motion as we speak.
13. I have a lot of fans asking would you ever go back to Dragonforce if asked?
Dragonforce is so 2009 dude…. I AM I IS 2012.
14. Thanks for the interview ZP!!!! Is there any last words that you would like to pass on to our readers and your fans?
If you’ve read this then thanks for your interest. Be sure to check out I AM I, I guarantee that Event Horizon will be the soundtrack for 2012. You’ve been warned! www.iamiofficial.com
Interview by David Pearce