JSP RECORDS is pleased to announce the release of a new two-CD retrospective set, ROCK N’ ROLL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, featuring one of the greatest and most enduring 1980’s all female New Wave rock bands, THE CATHOLIC GIRLS. This title will be released on Friday, November 20, 2020.
This exciting anthology covers recordings made from 1979 to 2017, including superb remixes of songs from their ground-breaking 1982 debut album “Catholic Girls.” It also presents 23 fully restored, previously unreleased recordings comprised of demos, alternates and five great never-before-heard songs (including the title track), as well as a compilation of songs drawn from their subsequent albums. All 41 tracks are newly remixed and remastered by acclaimed audio engineer John H. Haley of Harmony Restorations LLC assisted by Vincent J. Mazella.
The detailed 20-page booklet provides a history of THE CATHOLIC GIRLS, together with numerous photos from their extensive career. In the early 1980’s, they were among the first of the all female New Wave bands who were signed by major labels (in their case, MCA), which would include such girl groups as the Go-Go’s, Bananarama and the Bangles. In a rock music world defined by transience, THE CATHOLIC GIRLS have persisted, continuing to produce distinctive, original music.
Pre-order the release here: https://bourls.com/VNiet
All of their songs and lyrics are by lead singer GAIL PETERSEN, and none of the recordings heard in this set could possibly be mistaken for the work of any other group. For almost four decades, THE CATHOLIC GIRLS have broken all the rules and rocked the house, with sheer power, iron-willed longevity, tenacity and unforgettable music.
THE CATHOLIC GIRLS – ROCK N’ ROLL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
CD A: ROCK REVELATIONS: UNRELEASED DEMOS & ALTERNATES (78:44)
- Private School (1980) (2:57)
- Grounded (1981) (3:43)
- Summer Boy (Summer Vacation) (1980) (3:20)
- Dancing on the 44 (1980) (3:03)*
- Rock n’ Roll School for Girls (1980) (3:51)*
- Somebody in the USA (1980) (4:35)
- Grand Theft Auto (1979) (4:26)*
- Young Boys (1980) (4:40)
- Where Did I Go Wrong? (1981) (4:22)
- Boys Can Cry (1981) (3:58)
- Broken Record (1981) (3:06)
- You Let Me Down (1981) (3:25)
- C’est Impossible (1981) (3:09)
- Someone New (1981) (3:08)
- Rock’n America (original version, 1983) (2:47)
- If No One Fell in Love (2000) (4:37)
- It Doesn’t Become You (1984) (3:44)
- No One Like You (1983) (3:49)
- I Was a Lady (2001) (4:07)*
- Night Shift (The New Jersey Song) (alternate, 2003) (3:02)
BONUS LIVE PERFORMANCE TRACK:
- Just Before Nightfall (live at President’s Palace, 1979) (4:15)*
- First release of this song.
Performers: Gail Petersen, lead vocals and rhythm guitar (all tracks), plus keyboards (track 09) and bass guitar (track 17). Roxy Andersen, lead guitar and background vocals (all tracks). Joanne Holland, bass guitar (tracks 01-15, 18 and 21). Marilyn O’Connor, drums (tracks 1-14 and 21). Kyd Ellsworth, drums & percussion (tracks 15-19), plus bass guitar (tracks 16 and 19). Flo Shephard, keyboards (track 15). Stewart Turner, keyboards (tracks 17 and 18). Doreen Holmes, drums (track 20). Steve Berger, bass guitar (track 20).
CD B: ANTHOLOGY OF RELEASED RECORDINGS (79:02)
IN THE BEGINNING:
- Someone New1 (3:08)
- C’est Impossible1 (3:05)
- A Boy For Me1 (4:28)
- Where Did I Go Wrong?1 (2:35)
- You Let Me Down1 (3:05)
- Private School1 (2:57)
- Boys Can Cry1 (2:47)
- God Made You For Me1 (9:08)
THE SECOND COMING:
- The Only One3 (3:34)
- Make Me Believe2 (4:30)
- Niagara Falls2 (3:47)
- Should Have Been Mine3 (3:10)
- If I Hadn’t Loved You3 (4:37)
- Some Boys3 (3:38)
- Manderlay4 (4:19)
- Shame on You5 (3:59)
- Kiss Me One More Time5 (4:08)
- Down at the Shore5 (3:38)
- Without a Country6 (4:24)
- Somebody Better Get a Room6 (3:27)
1 From “Catholic Girls” album, released 1982.
2 Unreleased demos (1999) of songs that appeared on “Make Me Believe” album, released 2002.
3 From “Meet the Catholic Girls” album, released 2005.
4 From “Exposed” album, released 2012.
5 From “Kiss Me One More Time” album, released 2015.
6 From “Somebody Better Get a Room” album, released 2017.
Performers: Gail Petersen, lead vocals and rhythm guitar (all tracks), plus keyboards (tracks 03, 08 and 15). Roxy Andersen, lead guitar and background vocals (all tracks), plus keyboards (track 15). Doreen Holmes, drums (tracks 01-09 and 15-20). Joanne Holland, bass guitar (tracks 01-08). Kyd Ellsworth, drums & percussion and bass guitar (tracks 10 and 11). Steve Berger, bass guitar (tracks 09 and 13-20). Stephanie Koles, bass guitar (track 12). Bob Ferrell, drums (track 13).