Interview by Sagiv Shaniv – Proofread by Diane Parkes
“KUADRA” is an Italian band from Vigevano, Italy. The band was formed at the end of 2005. Each member has his own musical influences, such as hip hop, metal, crossover, electronic… All these genres came together to create the project “KUADRA”, that is, first of all, a melting pot of rap, rock and nu metal.
1. You sing only in Italian. Why so? Do you think you’ll be able to break through the local market to international recognition that way?
Actually, we never thought about making it through the show business. Italian is our mother-language and the language of those who attend our live shows. If we sang in English we wouldn’t receive the same feedback.
2. Do you plan to release material in English in the future?
We can’t exclude that we may write some English lyrics in the future. Perhaps for the next album, who knows?
3. What is your opinion about the Italian metal scene? Do you feel a part of it?
The Italian metal scene has never had a proper identity. All the bands being part of it are inspired by big American names. It seems that there’s no much effort in trying to renovate this genre. We feel part of it, but the thing we’re trying to do is making our sound and our path as personal and original as possible.
4. What can you tell about your best show to date, and where was it?
Saying which was our best show is impossible. Every time we play we think our performance has been better than the previous one. At every concert something happens that makes it worth being remembered, the cause being we always try to give our best when we’re on stage.
5. How would you define yourself by metal-genre?
Aggressive. That is basically the way we show up. This aggressiveness is clearly aimed at moving those who listen to our music and those who attend our concerts. Our main purpose is trying to leave a mark, even the smallest one, in the hearts of those who listen to us.
6. What lyrically inspires you? What do you base your writings on?
Our lives, the questions we make about the existence, our society, the people we meet.
7. What are your major musical influences?
Our music has its roots in ’90s metal and crossover, in rap, but we’ve been trying to enlarge our musical horizon for some time now. We follow post-metal and post-rock scene of northern Europe: bands like Cult of Luna, 65daysofstatic, Amenra and Deafheaven are just few of the bands which have really impressed us. Generally, we are influenced by very direct, strong and powerful bands.
8. How was your summer tour? How many shows did it include and where did you have the most fun?
The Summer tour was amazing. We wish every band could have the opportunity to play concerts and have fun as we did. We’ll surely never forget the night at the Cycle Club, in Florence, more because of what happened after the concert than for the concert itself.
9. When did you start playing together? How was the band formed?
Band was formed in 2006. Line up has slightly changed since then. It all happened almost by chance. Our former drummer contacted me after one of my exhibitions, telling me he had started a band and they needed a singer. So we started rehearsing and “KUADRA” has never stopped ever since.
10. Why did you decide to call yourself “KUADRA”?
That happened after our first rehearsal. We immediately understood that things were going in the right direction and since in Italian the word “quadra” means that “something works”, we came to choose it replacing the “q” with a “k” in order to give it a touch of modernity.
11. What can you tell of future releases and generally the band’s upcoming activity? Are you planning on any tours soon?
We have ten shows planned in between October 19th and December 21st. There’s may be the possibility of playing few shows in eastern Europe, but we still have to decide the modalities to do that. Last but not least, we are writing new stuff.
12. If you could choose any stage in the world to play a show on, where would it be and why?
Rock am Ring would be perfect. It’s among Europe’s most important festivals and has hosted many of our musical idols.
13. Any words for your fans around the globe?
See you soon!
http://kuadra.zimbalam.com – https://www.facebook.com/pages/KUADRA/129456620465185